I’m feeling inspired here folks! My friend over at H&H did a great blog post about creating a word for yourself to basically describe your goals or your theme for the coming year. Since this is officially my first post of 2012, I thought it would be a great time to come up with a word for myself. I’ve been thinking about it for over a week, and I think I finally have the one.
Are you ready????
My One little word for 2012 is……..
Finish
What do you think? I guess I should explain. I’m merely a housewife. I spend the majority of my time in my home, working on raising children, keeping a home, and the various chores associated with such tasks. But I am also a person with talents, hobbies, ideas, etc. So, most of my days I am keeping a running list of things I’d like to accomplish. Only problem? I do a little here, and a little there, until I am spent- and things rarely get DONE. I just want to check things off the list, ya know? (I have a feeling a lot of S.A.H.M.’s feel this way). Anywho- so my 2012 is going to be about FINISHING what I’ve started, accomplishing those little dreams I spend my time fantasizing about. Case in point? I have a bag full of this really really great fabric I bought almost TWO YEARS ago, that I was just sure I would sew into something great. But its still sitting in a bag. Its time Mandy….. lets go ahead and FINISH!
Ok, another example. Since I am finally past the stage in my life where I am either constantly knocked up, birthing, or recovering from birth, I am trying to re-discover exercise and athletics. However, in doing so, I have also begun to realize that I live in a HIGHLY competitive athletic, outdoorsy community. Don’t get me wrong, I love all those people, and I while I am impressed by their accomplishments (first place, second place, setting new records, blah blah blah…..), I have come to realize that I have no desire to be competitive in sports, I am in it merely to do what I set out to do- FINISH. Case in point? I ran a marathon last year. It was a REALLY big deal to me. But I had no intention of running super fast, “placing”, or otherwise competing to impress. Sorry folks, my goal was simply to finish. And I am so proud that I did. I have other thoughts in my head now (triathalon? Bike race?) Who knows? But I would just like to be able to say “Yes, I did. I finished.”
Last Scenario: I have little thoughts pop into my head all the time. It could be the spirit whispering to me, it could be my subconscious reminding me of something I already thought of, I don’t know- but either way, I have a hard time following through on these items. Call a friend to check on them, send a thank-you, tell the sweet sister who spoke in church last Sunday how much her lesson impacted you, etc. Whatever it may be- I feel like I have a lot of unfulfilled inspirations. I hope this year to DO more of what I think about doing. It usually doesn’t take much time. Just DO IT- just FINISH what you started (in your head….)
Does that make sense? I hope so. I really have thought about it a lot and it makes perfect sense to me, but sometimes it’s hard to put into words. One of the Prophets had a motto, I think it was Pres. Hinkley? Much like Nike, his goal was “Just DO It”. THIS is what I am trying to say. In fact, if I were allowed three little words, those would be the ones I would choose. But, since you only get one, I will say to myself each and every day, Just do it- just FINISH.
This has already affected me. The other day I had three specific things I wanted to accomplish. They were: take down the rest of the Christmas stuff, clean out my closet, and clean the bathroom. Over the course of my day I did manage to do the first two, in between driving to preschool, bathing the dang dog after she jumped in a mud puddle AGAIN, working on scouts stuff, rotating laundry, etc, etc. Anyway, it came to the end of the day and I realized I hadn’t made it to the bathroom. Normally, I would just say “Well, that will have to wait until tomorrow.” But, I was thinking about my motto, and I really wanted to get it done. I wanted to FINISH my list! So, at 9:00 p.m., I filled up a bucket with hot soapy water and headed for the bathroom. Seth couldn’t figure out what was going on because honestly, you rarely find me working at night. I generally give up, surrounded by mess, and just go ahead and watch a T.V. show. :) But I did it! I FINISHED!
Ok, now I just have to keep it up for about 354 more days. Wish me luck!






4 comments:
Great word- thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful 2012 :)
Who are you and what have you done with my wife? By the way...does this carry over to the bedroom?
I read everyone else's blogs and they all do the word thing so I was thinking what mine would be and finish was in the running. It was barely beat out by the phrase 'Just do it'. Only because that incorporates just getting all those things done that I haven't yet, but also doing the other things I want to get done. And just doing things like the laundry and dishes...
I have the same disease...um tell your husband this is a grated blog jk ha ha
Post a Comment