So, we have been trying to get settled in here in P-rice, but it seems to be taking forever! I feel like all I do is unpack boxes and clean up the kids messes. Which doesn’t leave much time for getting out & exploring our new surroundings. I realized the other day that we have actually done a couple of fun things since we’ve been here, though, so I thought I’d better blog about those, so ya’ll don’t think we are total losers.
First: The Desert Wave Pool
There is a fantastic pool here called the Desert Wave Pool (its pretty much the exact same as Surf-n-swim. While my sister was in town for a visit, we took all the kids there and they had a rip-roarin good time. That’s just good, cheap fun. I will definitely be frequenting that place.
Second: Huntington State Park
There is a great reservoir about 15 minutes from our house in the little town of Huntington. We went there for a ward party, and our kids discovered the lovely art of crawdad fishin. (That’s how you know you live in a redneck town!) You just stick a raw chicken leg into the water and you’ll pull out some crawdad’s. Needless to say, this provided hours of endless entertainment for my boys. They are dying to go back there and do it again. I didn’t take a camera with me, so I was ecstatic when a nice man in my ward brought me over this photo he had snapped of Makenna with her “kissin crawdad’s”. Ew. But at least now I have photographic evidence.
Third: The Carbon County Fair: A.K.A. “International Days”.
We went out to find dinner one Friday night and instead found the fair. While we had a nice evening enjoying the park and all the festivities, I was reminded why I don’t love fairs. Because I left that place $60 poorer, and all I got was a chicken sandwich. Just to feed my family & let the kids go on a few rides. YIKES!
Fourth: The Dinosaur Quarry.
One of Seth’s favorite things to do on a Sunday afternoon is go exploring. He’ll load us all up in the car and just start driving and see where we end up. Well, on this particular day we ended up at the Dinosaur Quarry. It is in the middle of nowhere and somehow we just stumbled upon it. The kids were dying to go walk around and see the visitors center (luckily it was open, though a little deserted….) and we even went on a little hike.
The kids are pointing at a real live dinosaur bone that is embedded in the rock. They thought that was so cool.
This is an actually dig site that they let you go look around in. There are tons of bones still in there- it is crazy. Its much smaller than I thought it would be. They have pulled like 50 dinosaurs out of an area no bigger than my family room. Ok, maybe my parents family room. But still- they’re dinosaurs!
On the way home from our exploratory drive, Seth once again started heading down a dirt road that looked like it was going to get us landed on a show called “lost in the desert”, or “I cheated death in the wilderness”. He was just sure it would lead somewhere cool- i was sure it would lead absolutely nowhere.
I lost. (Was there ever any doubt?????)
Somehow, after driving FOREVER through the ugliest country you’ve ever seen, the ground just opened up into this beautiful canyon. I could tell that Seth was just BEAMING he was so glad he was right. But, this is why I love him. The man is a regular Indiana Jones. He is so at home exploring the wild unknown. Me? I’d like to do more exploring at a palm beach pool-side resort. :)
Well, so there you have it. A few fun things we have done. Next on the docket for the Wallace Family: A week at the Oregon Coast with all the Wallace/Unrein cousins. I CANT WAIT!






0 comments:
Post a Comment