So, during this time we have spent in Price, I have been serving in the Scouting program. This is officially my first experience with scouts in any form and it has been an eye opener learning about all the the mechanics, logistics, bureaucracy, and social hierarchy of it all! I am currently the only wolf leader in charge of three different packs from our community. While it isn’t that many boys, sometimes its confusing keeping track of them and which pack they belong to. I have enjoyed spending a little extra time with Sparky, and I’m glad I am learning the ropes now, since I have three boys that need to go through the program, and I assume scouting will be a big part of our lives for at least the next 10 years.
Last month was our Blue & Gold banquet. My boys were in charge of a skit that went terribly awry…… but, they had fun. I guess that’s all that matters, right?
They had a cowboys theme for the banquet and each boy was supposed to decorate a “cowboy” themed cake with their Dad. Seth & Sparky made cake pops. Ok, I made cake pops, but they decorated them and it was hilarious. Seth kept giving them ridiculous hair-do’s. He would say, “This one is a Justin Bieber cowboy”, or “This one is a Johnny Cash cowboy”. Needless to say, they were all sort of sloppy, drunken cowboys, but they were still a hit.
It was nice to have Blue & Gold behind us, but then we moved right on to Pinewood derby the next month.
Sparky has already participated in a pinewood derby back in Mtn. Green. He did terrible. Out of about 25 cars, his probably placed 24th. Seriously. It was so slow. But Sparky was a good sport. He really didn’t even mind that much. Seth decided they were going to build a much better car this time around. But, despite his best intentions, he got busy and somehow they ran out of time to get it done. So, at the last minute, Seth told him “We’ll just race your car from last year again. (even though it was a TOTAl dud.) All it needed was a new pair of wheels since the kids had broken off the old ones. After Sparky glued on a new front wheel set, we noticed that the car only ran on 3 of its 4 wheels and we felt so bad that once again the poor boy was going to have to race a total dud.
As luck, (or miracles!) will have it, we soon learned that only having three wheels touching the ground is actually a GOOD thing- in fact, a feat that people actually strive to achieve! (Who knew???) Little Sparky’s car took 1st in 2 of its 4 races, and 2nd in the other 2. He and one other boy had a race-off for first place, and Matthew’s car beat him by 1/100'th of a second. It didn’t matter. Sparky was positively beaming. Oh thank you Lord, for throwing this sweet boy a bone. He needed it. He was so happy!
And this is his sweet trophy, which now proudly resides on his dresser. Its a good thing he has it to remind him of better times when the next derby comes along and we go back to the Wallace way…….racing a dud. :)






0 comments:
Post a Comment