CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 2, 2012

Grandma’s Ski Day

A few weeks ago, the Pantone family spent a wonderful, beautiful day together at Snowbasin which we will all remember for a long, long time.  We gathered in honor of Seth’s Grandma (the kids Great-Grandma).   Grandma’s story is best told by herself, so I am going to paste a copy of a letter she wrote to the Snowbasin Adaptive Skisports program to explain to you her situation:

“On March 10, 2012, I had the most amazing day!  I will be 80 years old (ugh) in Nov.  I learned to ski when I was about 7 years old and had continued to ski until I was almost 60 years old!  Then, everything came to a screeching halt.  I had a brain cyst removed and it left my right side paralyzed.  Then a year and a half later, my husband and I were riding our motorcycle and a lady ran a stop sign....that accident caused me to lose my left leg below the knee.  Since then,  I have been somewhat restricted in my activity.  That is, until Mar. 10 !  My daughter, Lesli and her husband, Art Unrein (an instructor at the Basin), talked me into going for a ride with the Adaptive Ski Program!  I was a little hesitant at first because I really didn't know what to expect.   I had considered myself a good to excellent skier (in my day), having been taught by Cory Engan, Earl Miller and Bob Beck and I didn't want to be disappointed.  Well, I WASN'T!!!!!  Dustin gave me the ride of my life!!!!  It was sooo much fun!!!! When I saw the delight on some of the children's faces, who were handicapped in various ways,  I became a firm believer in the Adaptive Sports Program !  Snow Basin should be proud of the job they are doing.    Thanks to your Adaptive Sports Program (and Dustin) for a wonderful day, spent by me and my family! 

Janica Olsen Pantone.” 

WOW WOW WOW- Grandma, you are an amazing woman and it was such a privilege to share this special day with you!

Before viewing the following pictures, please note that several of them are completely WRECKED by accidental overexposure.  I was so sad that I did that!  But, I am posting them anyway because they’re all I’ve got and it was such a great day!!!

IMG_3634

The whole group (minus Ben and the subie fiasco :)  A snowbasin photographer also took this shot and I so badly want to hunt him down and get a copy since mine was wrecked!

IMG_3632

Grandma Jani skis!!!  Oh, I still cry just looking at the joy on her face!

DSC_0307

DSC_0347

IMG_3623

IMG_3617

Look who else had a big day!  Yup, we got baby J out on skis for her first time.  It was hilarious.  She didn’t want to put any weight on her legs, so Seth mostly just held her up.  Maybe next year :)

IMG_3619 IMG_3615

 IMG_3652

Afterwards, she was so exhausted, she passed out on the patio in her Great-grandpa’s arms.  (Agghh!  So mad this one is wrecked, too! And the next one!)

IMG_3655

IMG_3626

DSC_0312

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a memorable day your family will remember forever.

Meg said...

I love this post. I might copy and paste that to my bloggy blog too.
I will send you some pics/files. I have some cute ones of you and your kidlets.
Love you and miss you.