CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why I love my Neighbors.....

This thing. That's why.



I've been driving past it every day for months now & every time I crack up laughing. Why, you ask? Because it reminds me of my childhood. Days long gone when kids played outside until dark & then their parents had to drag them into the house. Days when kids "invented" stuff & spent their summers testing their new inventions. Growing up with three brothers, we had many such contraptions around our house. I remember a dresser that got turned into a human jail cell, a couch with wheels attached that careened down the road from time to time, my brother building huge jumps so he could ski off the roof, the eight man sled that took us sailing into "the hollow" at ridiculous speeds, and more.
Nowadays, its seems like we don't see that kind of spirit out of kids. They spend so much time watching T.V. & playing video games. However, I think my hometown here in the Mountains is a rare exception. And that is why I love it here so much. People LOVE to be outside! Kids play in huge sand piles, ride their bikes, run around, and just enjoy being kids.
The Martin boys, who made this funny "ski-sled", have been amusing me for the last 5 years, and as they are now turning into men (sniff, sniff), I'm sure they will continue, because lets face it- boys never really grow up. Since I've known them, I've watched them spend countless hours riding their 4-wheelers up to the lake to fish or hike. They spent one summer rigging up a zip-line to go across it, which Seth thought was hysterical. I've found little splotches of hot-pink paint all over in my flower beds & chuckled at the realization that it was paint balls strategically aimed at us from their yard. They built a crazy-looking go-cart last year that I'm sure even Olympic lugers would be scared of. I see them out playing night games, building stuff with their dad, taking care of their yard, re-building old cars, and just being boys. AND I LOVE IT!
I'm grateful on a daily basis to live in this beautiful place, surrounding by such amazing people. And for whatever reason, this funny little contraption I see every day brings be joy because it reminds me of that. Just thought I'd share :)

2 comments:

Amberlee said...

Mandy that is a great post. I love it. I am with you on getting the kids outside already. The thing I miss is being bare foot all summer and that is forbidden these days by some (Not me) so sad. It's the Doctor's on the street that don't appreciate a summer bare foot, but those same Dr.'s have saved many a trip down the canyon on occasion. Oh and "Q" is Quickie ha ha!

MartinCrew said...

It's so obvious that we need to being living MORE in a country setting! Our boys are the Phineas and Ferb of the neighborhood...my only question is....Why don't things disappear at the end of the day? Oh well, they say great things are made of these, so until they have left the nest everyone gets to see what the Martin boys are up to :)