Don't you just love how the old timers say their going to "put up" their peaches, or tomatoes, or whatever they feel like canning. Ever since I got married over 10 years ago, I've had a secret longing to be truly domestic. The problem is, although my mom was a true Martha Stewart herself, she never showed us how to do anything, or heaven-forbid- let us near her kitchen! My sister first showed me how to can stuff about 7 years ago, and ever since, I've had the bug. Until I moved up here to Heaven, though, I never had enough space for a garden. Now that I'm here (in paradise), I've learned that gardening is trickier than I thought, and the cold mountain climate makes it difficult to grow stuff. That's why, when I am able to make something grow, I'm absolutely tickled with my resourcefulness.
I heard on the news the other night that we were expecting our first frost of the fall :(, so I went & picked a bunch of stuff all at once. I was so impressed with the lovely variety, the "fruits of my labor" if you will, that I decided to take a picture. I know, its not really much, but if you knew what a black thumb I have, you'd be impressed, too.
So, I guess now its time to get "puttin up"!
Ahhhh, I love fall!
P.S.- as you can see, my poor tomatoes didn't really have a chance to turn red. I did get some nice, juicy red ones, but the majority looked like this! Never fear, though- I found a fantastic recipe for Green tomato salsa. And its really good! And it looks like I'm going to be making lots and lots and lots of it....so if I really like you, you might get a jar or two!
Living Life.....
7 years ago






2 comments:
Nice work Mandy. I am proud of you. Im glad to hear that I am not the only one that has the dream of being Mrs. Domestic herself! My Christmas list is going to include canning supplies, tools, whatever you call them so I can "put up" my own goods next year. You should be proud of yourself.
NICE. Really, I feel the same way, I got about 15 tomatoes to ACTUALLY turn RED too, the deer, the cold, and eventually the frost took over, but I'll keep trying as long as were here in paradise!!! WAY TO GO.
Post a Comment