CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 7, 2011

An Unfortunate Series of Events

It all started on Sunday. We were walking out of Sacrament when we received the news that Seth's Grandpa had passed away. It was quite unexpected and yet expected at the same time, although startling to hear at church when we were immersed in other things. (TACT next time, Jeremy!) Seth and I felt sad all day Sunday and then were able to spend that evening with our family, which was comforting. However, while the cousins were all playing together that evening, Noodle tripped over a fire engine- which we thought was no big deal. The next morning when he woke up, however, he had a severe limp. I watched him limp around for most of the day wondering what could possibly be wrong. The next morning when he woke up, he couldn't walk at all. THAT scared me! So I scheduled an appointment with his pediatrician. I dropped the kids off at Michelle's house and raced down to the doctor. Long story short, we left the doctors office two hours later, where he had pronounced that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Noodle! I was so frustrated. (He said it was probably just a sprain? and would heal itself). I returned to Michelle's house to get the kids and she told me Smurf had fallen behind her couch, and then he was really upset and he cried himself to sleep. I carried him home because he was still asleep (AGAIN- didn't think anything of this. Kids get hurt every day, right? It seems especially mine!) A few hours later, Smurf woke up screaming, and didn't stop crying until he went back to sleep that night. Since he was waking from his nap at the ripe ol' hour of 7 p.m., I attributed this to his getting a late nap. I think all parents know how those babies (late naps) can wreak havoc on a child's schedule and general disposition!
So, the NEXT morning Smurf woke up crying again. This time I noticed that he was cradling his arm next to his body and wouldn't use it. I tried to touch it and he went ballistic. I called Seth to tell him the good news and he told me to take him straight to the doctor's office. Now here's the part where you might be tempted to judge me..... I said no! I said "Seth, I cannot face that pediatrician again! He made me feel like an idiot yesterday. I'm going to haul all the kids all the way down there again and waste my whole day AGAIN just to be told he's perfectly fine. Not to mention the fact that this is a new pediatrician to our family and I'm now bringing my 2nd injured child in two days. They were likely to turn me in to DCFS. So I held my ground. I said NO!
Seth was angry. He said if I wouldn't take him then he would do it himself. He had important meetings at work though, so it was decided we would stop by the hospital on our way to Grandpa's viewing right when Seth got home from work.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaa!!! This is where the story becomes hilarious! "Just stop by the hospital on our way to the viewing! Ya Right!"
SIX HOURS, THREE SETS OF X-RAYS, 3 DIFFERENT DR. OFFICES/LABRATORY VISITS LATER, WE HAD THIS:

Isn't he cute?
A teeny tiny fracture right near his elbow. The Dr. said it was an uncommon break, and very difficult to see on the X-ray because of its position (thus the reason he sent us to the lab for more x-rays THREE times!)
They almost missed it and diagnosed him with a nurse-maid's elbow- which is what happens when you drag a kid around by their arm. I NEVER do that....... (hee hee hee)
Anyway- in the end it turned out that we missed Grandpa Wallace's viewing entirely. We felt badly about that, but when your kids need you, they just have to come first. I felt terrible for making Smurfy wait all day in pain (now your judging me again, aren't you?)
We finally got home from the hospital around 10 p.m.
The next day was Grandpa Wallace's funeral which we were gone to all day.
The next day was Halloween.
The next day I crawled in my bed and hoped to be able to stay there until the next time one of my children breaks something. I was so exhausted!
It was not one of my favorite parental experiences.
On a side note: My dearest friend Michelle who watches my kids for me more often than any friend should ever have to would like to make sure she, and I quote "is painted in the best possible light here". I would like to state for the record that I in NO WAY blame her for this incident. (although Seth has a hey-day teasing her mercilessly about the fake medical bills we are going to send her). She was just doing what ALL responsible parents of more than one child do when their kids have friends over to play: she let them run wild in the basement while she washed the dishes upstairs. I see this as perfectly fit parenting AND babysitting, and don't think for a second, that YOUR kids are getting any more attention than that at my house! In fact, Michelle, just to make you feel better, I'll remind you that the first time I babysat Amberlee's kids they BOTH left here bleeding. In fact,Rileigh required stitches and they BOTH still have visible scarring from whatever it was that took place here that day. I can't even remember now, it was over five years ago. And Amberlee still thinks I'm A GREAT parent/babysitter, right Amberlee?????? Amberlee?..........crickets........
Oh well! You win some, you lose some, right?



Waiting in the Dr.'s office for our 2nd set of x-ray lab results



All suited up with his brand new cast!

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you for painting me in the best possible light. :) Just so everyone knows baby J was also here and I was giving her excellent care at the time Smurf was breaking his arm so that evens it out right??? I really do love that kid and I am glad he is all better.