CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lake Powell


Ok- I've been informed by some friends that my blog is getting absurdly out of date. To my credit, its only June & this has been one crazy summer!!!! I was going to try to do this in one catch-up blog, but its too hard, so I'm starting with Lake Powell. Earlier this month we were invited by some friends in the neighborhood to go on an adults-only Lake Powell trip. Let me just say a trip like this was long overdue & simply genius!!!!! I don't know what we've been thinking taking our kids to Lake Powell all these years. Don't get me wrong, I love our family trips, but there is something about Lake Powell.....and peace......that go hand in hand! So thank you thank you thank you Erika & Shawn for what was really one of the funnest things we've done in a long time. We made some great friends & had some really good times.






Just a little side note....in addition to all the great fun we had waterskiing, wakeboarding, surfing, etc. etc., there was one scary incident. The men spent one whole evening rigging up a zipline across one of the canyons near our houseboat. They really worked hard to make sure the line was secure and everything was safe. However, they didn't make sure everyone who would be riding said zipline was strong enough to hang on when the handle got jerked out of their hand after a 20-ft freefall. Can you see where I'm going with this????? So, I plunged off the edge of what I'm told was about a 70-foot cliff, dropped about 20 feet, had the rope yanked out of my hands, and continued to fall, super-man style 50 more feet into what had to be the worlds best (or worst!) bellyflop. Man, I didn't know water could hurt that bad!!!!! Every inch of my skin felt like it was on fire, and within minutes of coming out of the water I had bruises on nearly my whole body. It was ugly. Everyone was really freaked out, especially after a second girl also fell off the rope & got hurt pretty badly. Needless to say after that the zipline was dismantled & I believe that is the end of my ziplining career. There was a houseboat full of friendly folks nearby who videoed the whole thing. If I can ever manage to get my hands on that video, I'll post it here for you to mock me endlessly.
In the meantime, I took some photos of my wicked bruises.
"Classic Peg"- right? Noone will get that but my fam- but Oh Well!

Oh- P.S.- You can see more of our trip by checking out the "Beckstrom Lake Powell Crew" link in our blog friends list. We hope to make it an annual trip- it was really the best!!!!

3 comments:

Meg said...

How fun! We miss Lake Powell. Looks like you had a great time and we are glad you are okay post zip-line.
(HOW WAS THE RACE MANDY!!!! Looking forward to this post!)

Jcsamgwallace said...

I'm sorry, Mandy, but I can't read your blog anymore. Between you Lake Powell trip and your skiing adventures you make me too home sick!!! Can't you post something really lame and boring so I won't want to come back?

Annie Miller said...

I want to know where your after belly flop pictures are? I want to see your bruises! So glad you lived :)